Sunday, October 26, 2008

The $150,000 Question...

I recently read a friend's blog post which was about the media's new found obsession with Sarah Palin's expensive wardrobe, and the media's pass on Barack Obama's record-shattering campaign fundraising. The argument goes, in a nutshell, that Barack Obama is spending bazillion's of dollars on his campaign, and that, in comparison, the relatively small amount Sarah Palin spent on clothes shouldn't matter.

Two thoughts:

1.) I think the reason I'm a little bit shocked by the amount Ms. Palin spent on clothes is that is was donated money; money that hard working people donated to the Republican ticket in hopes that it would be spent on something worthwhile in getting Senator McCain and Governor Palin elected. It is arguable whether or not $150,000 in clothes for the Governor actually respects the intentions of those donors. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I did not donate to the McCain campaign, so it would be difficult for me to say definitively whether this is true or not. However, it would be my guess that most people donated to the McCain-Palin campaign, NOT to the McCain-Palin closet.

2.) The idea that Barack Obama is somehow in the wrong because more people then ever before have been energized and motivated to donate on a small scale boggles the mind. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I can say this definitively, because my wife and I have donated $100 to Senator Obama's campaign. (We did this in two installments, each of $50.) See, here's the thing, Senator Obama has inspired, motivated and encouraged so many people to see the need to contribute in any small way that they can. It actually brings to mind the parable of the widow in the Bible. For those of you not up to date on your New Testament stories, it goes like this: There once was this old lady who had practically nothing. She left the temple shortly after a rich man who gave a whole bunch to the church. As the old lady left, she put in a few pennies, worth practically nothing. However, the point of the story was that because the old lady gave from her "little", it counted for more then the big donation the wealthy guy gave, which didn't really matter to him, because he had plenty. And, what we have in the Obama campaign is a whole lot of people giving out of their "little" to the point where it has added up to more money then any candidate in the history of the United States has ever had available. This is a powerful concept. Across this great nation more of the little guys, not the Joe the Plumber's who are apparently raking it in to the tune of more then $250,000 a year, but the teachers and stay-at-home moms who are making $42,000 a year are donating to a cause they feel is going to change the world. Not just America, but the world.

So, Sarah Palin can go buy all the clothes she wants from the money that she and John McCain have raised. I don't know if that's what the donors wanted, but that's because my money is going to a candidate who I feel represents me and my desires for change. (Not a change of clothes.)

Thanks...

Tommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"who I feel represents me and my desires for change. (Not a change of clothes.)"

Awesome! Love it.