Thursday, September 08, 2005

a new tack...

So, I've been struggling with the whole idea of what I can possibly write about in my blog, because work is out for legal reasons, and well, I just don't lead that exciting of a life outside of work. However!!! I do have a bit of a nasty habit of reading every single thing that I can get my hands on....SO, I think this blog will become something of a venue for me to expound on all of the books that I read. cool! I'm happy, and if that doesn't suit you, (my two readers) than too bad.

About a week ago, I read Prozac Nation. It was interesting. I wouldn't say that I liked it, but it definitely kept me involved. (Angrily muttering to myself is involved, isnt' it?) Honestly, it was very frustrating because I couldn't relate to the main character. All she saw was pain and personal attacks, and all I saw was her friends and loved ones reaching out and trying to help, and then just reaching their breaking point. But then, I think that that's kind of the point...because, after all, I'm not depressed...therefore, I can't possibly relate to someone who's entire outlook is colored by a disease as debilitating as depression. It also made me think about my objections to Tom "crazy as a loon" Cruise. I REALLY don't agree with his psychotic rantings. Mental illnesses ARE real. However, I'm kind of riding the fence between Cruise and the conclusion of Prozac Nation. You see, I think (and I know I'm going WAY out on a limb here) that we, as a nation, are grossly over-medicated. For people who really and trully have a mental illness, I say go for it. However, I think that there needs to be a substantial difference between feeling blue and feeling like the entire world is one giant tidal wave of pain that is coming in from all sides like a mental "perfect storm."

Ok. 'Nuff about that book.

Right now I'm reading "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, as per recommendation by Matt. Now, admittedly, I'm only about half way through it, but I don't get why it's one of the world's great love stories....Catherine and Heathcliff are not characters to be imitated. For crying out loud!!! He's a raving, vengeful lunatic man, and she's a spoilled, self-centered, selfish witch!!! The passages that are often quoted as being indicative of the depth of emotion between H. and C. and rarely given a context. H. is usually making those broad, beautiful declarations in FRONT OF HIS WIFE, who, incidentely ISN"T Catherine!!!!

However, again, it's provoking an emotional response, which, i guess is the point, and it does keep me reading. All right, more later. Oh, if there are any recommendations that people have, I almost always read what my friends/complete strangers suggest. (c;

More later!

4 comments:

Steph said...

I forgot how great Prozac Nation is. I'll have to check it out again. Its been a few years since I read it.
I guess there was a movie made also. Christina Ricci stars..
Great book though.

lilcheercoach said...

Why are you so incredibly negative about your family? Have you given them a chance? I really hope you realize how important family is, and how much they love you. You are being very publicly negative. Maybe Bibi will instill in you the importance of family. They all love you Tommy. On that note - nice Blog!

Jen said...

I agree that the nation is over-medicated-- I am one of them, but I won't let them medicate my children. :)

As for Wuthering Heights, haven't read it, but I should. I think you should read The Time Traveler's Wife, and Eragon and Eldest if you haven't.

I have some video of Paolini I can show you.

Jen said...

Where are you being very publicly negative about your family? Inquiring minds want to read it. Is Sarah your sister?