Monday, October 10, 2005

and on we go...

You all everybody...

Welcome back! Here we are in another week. I finished Robinson Crusoe last week...unfortunately, it just took too long. I don't have much to say about it, as it was too long for me to spend on one book. Finished a Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle last week as well. It was good. It wasn't great...it seemed to me she was trying a little too hard to copy the beauty and meaning behind C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia. It seemed forced and a little unnatural. Having said that, it still was a decent story.

I'm reading "Little Women" now, as per requested. (As I said earlier, I will read books recommended by you all!) I have to say, after a brief period of discomfort at reading such a blatant "chick read", I've been REALLY impressed. It's absolutely beautifully written. It's a little like reading poetry in prose form. Without trying to sound too cliche' it's really quite mind-catching.

A couple of other notes...my mom called yesterday and we chatted for a bit. (Hi mom!) Backstory first: My senior year in high school a friend of mine was in horrible accident. He and his brother and a mutual friend of theirs had just gotten off work at the local hy-vee. The friend was driving his car, and the two brothers were sitting on the back of the car, being driven--very carefully--to their car. Both of the brothers fell off. My friend died. His younger brother lived. It was a horribly sensless accident, and it was a very painful experience for everyone who knew all involved.

Well, my mom told me yesterday that the younger brother died in a motorcyle accident this weekend. Almost nine years exactly after his brother died. So...to the Henson brothers. You will both be missed.

Thanks for reading.
Tommy

No comments: