Thursday, October 27, 2005

end of the line

So, I just finished Little Women last night. All I can say is, wow. Man alive. In all honesty, I've never read a book with such beautiful prose, such elegant story telling, and such a memorable finale.

It was interesting; I went through a change during the reading of this book. I made some many connections between the story and my life--the importance of making my home...scratch that, Bibi and my home a comfortable and welcoming place, a "home" instead of merely a house. Seeing Mr. March as a father, made me long for when I can be a father and take care of my own kids. Oh, and this was kind of funny; when people would see me reading this book, I would make up excuses for why I was reading it, I would explain that I was challenged to read it, that it was for my classroom. Tuesday night, I was reading it and someone chuckled and made somewhat of a snide comment about it (he was just being funny) and I started to explain why I was reading it. I stopped and looked at him. Then I simply said, "Hey...it's really good," and continued reading.

Man. Just amazing.

Anyway, I'm reading The Joy Luck Club now. I'm only about 40 pages into it, but it's great so far. My favorite teacher in high school challenged all the guys in the class to read it, and now...only ten years later, I'm finally doing it. (c; Better REALLY late than never, right? Anyway, more later!

If anyone reading this doesn't already know about www.bookcrossing.com you should definitely go check it out. Good times will be had by all! (c;

Later, and...thanks for reading...

Tommy

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good for you! It is a jewel.

The Joy Luck Club is also wonderful.

Rebecca

aaron said...

Which teacher was that?