Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Won't Get Fooled Again!

Hey everyone! I am still alive and kicking. Things are going well here in the 'ville.

Tim, I got your message today, and I didn't get a chance to call you back. I'd love to hang out sometime soon. Let me know when you're coming up.

This weekend was a great one. Friday night I worked at Il Spazio, and Bibi was going to go back to KC for the weekend, but Friday night it started snowing, and snowing, and snowing and then it just kept right on snowing. So, Bibi did not go back to KC. After work, we hung out and called it a night fairly early. Saturday we got up and Bibi went to a meeting called "Birth Circle" for women who are recent mothers or mothers-to-be. She had fun; I, in the meantime, got some dishes done and read. (More on that later.)

Saturday night I worked again, and Sunday was a LAZY day. We watched some shows that we have taped, and just hung out. Monday I hung out at Java Co, read, and hung out with some friends. (It was wonderful.)

Last night--Monday night--Bibi and I wanted to try out a new recipe, so we got out one of our cookbooks, and made a traditional Irish dish called Colcannon. It was deli-wait for it!!--cious.

All right. So, now on to the literary updates.

Apparently the book that I talked about last time, the Newberry Award winner, has caused quite a stir on the internet. And, as it's getting a lot of buzz, I don't feel too bad naming the book here. It was called "The Higher Power of Lucky" by Susan Patron. And, if you google it, you'll find all manner of arguments regarding its value as a book because of it's use of the word scrotum. Now, I don't know if I stated my feelings clearly enough last week, so I'll say them again here....the word scrotum is not what I have a problem with. The fact that this book was recognized as the best of the best for children's literature is what I have a problem with. (It's just not that good.)

And, what am I reading now, you may ask? (Ok, so, maybe you don't care what I'm reading now. If not, then why in the world are you still reading? That's what this blog is about!) I just picked up a copy of Lt. General David Petraeus' "Counterinsurgency Manual" for the United States Army. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the name, he was just made the head honcho of all the troops in Iraq, and last summer he wrote a new version of the counterinsurgency manual for all the armed forces. I thought I would check it out, as he has some pretty revolutionary theories on fighting the insurgency in Iraq (i.e.: making the Iraqi people secure is a task that will require something more than just bullets and tanks, and that in order to successfully complete the tast ahead of our troops, our number one goal is to put the Iraqi people in charge of their own future.) In know...wild, isn't it?

All right, so let me leave you all with a thought: Last week the House of Representatives debated (fairly pathetically) the issue of whether or not to pass a non-binding resolution against President Bush's troop surge plan. The senate wasn't even able to debate it, and the proposed vote failed. Now, here are my questions: 1) What the hell good is a "non-binding resolution?, and 2) Isn't it the job of the American people to protest when they disagree with the actions of their government, and isn't it the job of the government to, you know, actually DO something about it, instead of attempting to pass purely symbolic, and in reality absolutely meaningless "resolutions"?

Your thoughts....

(Thanks for stopping by!!)

Tommy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it would be funny if everyone in Iraq went to sleep one night, and when they woke up all the Americans would be gone...What kind of reaction would that bring?

Then we'll tell the world that we discovered teleportation...and then they'd be afraid...AFRAID, TOMMY!