Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Rebirth of Slick...

I'd like to thank everyone who has read and responded to the last post. I appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas, and I respect the validity of all of them, while I may not necessarily agree. And, with that in mind, I'd like to extend my previous post, and go into depth a little bit more...

One of the interesting themes that has come through quite clearly is the idea that my wife and I should be glad, we should be thankful, that our baby, and my wife, are both healthy and that, in the end, that is all that matters. On the flip side, it's possible to see all of the obstacles and challenges that Bibi and I went through in the last week and to get bogged down entirely in those aspects of the birth of our first child. It would appear, unfortunately, that we have to diametrically opposed outcomes, wouldn't it?

I would like to propose a third...

And, in order to begin this third option, I need to clarify just a bit what was going on in our brains last week...we were a flood of varying feelings and thoughts. The idea that I mentioned in the last post, that of "mourning the loss of expectation" comes in here. Let me explain.

Bibi and I were deeply saddened by the fact that we were going to have to have a c-section. It is a mere truth that we were holding on beyond all hope that we might be able to have a natural childbirth experience, free of medical intervention. We spent the better part of Monday night, Tuesday, and some of Wednesday, mourning the loss of this hope. It was an intimately and closely held desire that we both had, and those die painfully, and slowly.

During this time of mourning, it did NOT go unnoticed that a c-section may indeed be the very thing that would save both my child's, and my wife's, life. It was with a very profound sense of appreciation and gratitude that Bibi and I willingly consented to the c-section, as we recognized that this is very likely the reason that we as a people are able to do that kind of a procedure.

Indeed, what I have learned from this experience is that it is possible to be totally and completely overjoyed at the outcome, and heartbreakingly devasted by the means. While these two feelings might SEEM opposed...they are not mutually exclusive. You've got to be able to separate the "stuff", from the "stuff".

Thank you all, again, for reading, and stay tuned as I regale you all with tales of Grace's explosive poo that ended up all over Bibi (WITH PICTURES!!!) and how Grace was kind enough to poo and pee all over me this afternoon as I changed her diaper. (Thankfully, no pictures were found.)

Thanks all, and enjoy....and, as always....

thanks for stopping by.

Tommy

8 comments:

Jen said...

Nicely put.

Nichole Conner said...

Very much so. It makes a lot of sense to be happy with the end result....beautiful Grace, but not so happy with the way it all came about....NICU, nightmare nurses, etc....

Exploding poo, yummy.

Rebecca said...

It's hard to get what you're saying unless you've been there. I didn't get it until it happened wtih my youngest son's birth and it still takes my breath away when I think about all that happened during that week.

Now that you are a parent, (welcome to the club!) you will continue to be working on separating the stuff from the stuff(as you put it) in regards to breastfeeding, sleeping patterns, toilet training, pre-school, etcetcetc. As the mother of a 16 year old, I've learned that this is all part of the journey. And it's one ride that I've been so grateful to have been given a ticket to ride. Ü

Love ya and miss ya,
rebecca

Unknown said...

Wow, Tommy.
I went through a year thanking God my first child was "ok" before I realized I was sad about the circumstances surrounding her birth. I thought that if I talked about not liking the fact I didn't get to hold her until a week after her birth, or that she had 6 million tubes shoved down her throat and 89 nurses trying to find veins in which to successfully place their needles, I was being ungrateful.

I am now going through the same emotions with my second child's birth that I did with hers. But this time, I'm not fighting them.

I'm going to read this post again.

Nichole Conner said...

Totally unrelated Tommy, but didn't have an email current for you....Marianne needs your new address to update her files. She wants to assure that you get your paycheck, etc. So if you could, give her a buzz on Monday, or just send your new addy her way.

Thanks!! Nichole

Unknown said...

p.s. I've found it to be true that people without a truly traumatic birth experience are the first to pass judgement. Just a thought.

Heather said...

Congratulations!!! I know I'm late, but I'm obviously out of the loop and not checking your blog nearly enough lately. So glad to hear you have a new spiffy job. Where will you be working next year?

bceliasevers said...

YAY FOR TOMMY AND BIBI! I'm late as well and also very far out of the loop anymore, but I'm soooo happy for you guys. :) Yeah, where is this mysterious 'job' and what's it all about? (just as a little side story from the explosive poo of course...)

~Beth