Monday, November 13, 2006

This Week in Books...

All right, all right...apparently my lapse in posting has made at least one of you irate enough to post a reponse. So....here ya go.

So, the election. Were you pleased? I have to say....it was interesting. In cruising around the blogosphere I noticed something, specifically relating to the amendment issue in Missouri. (For stem cell research.) Those people against the initiative were shocked and horrified by the fact that it passed. I believe the quote was, "what is America coming to?!" The people who were FOR the initiative were shocked and horrified by the fact that it was so close to NOT passing. And, in all honesty, the fact that there seemed to be some over-riding misconception about the passing of this bill was disconcerting as well. And, I believe the exact quote was, "What is America coming to?!"

I am hoping that things improve. I hope that Democrats can take the ball and run with it...in a positive direction. I hope that Robert Gates, Rumsfeld's replacement can make heads or tails of this snafu in Iraq. I hope that we can bring our troops safely and leave Iraq with some semblance of order and a future that is brighter than the present. I hope that Democrats don't become drunk with power and totally screw things up Matt Foley-style.

Anywho. On the literary front, I've got a few recommendations. I don't remember if I blogged about Things in Ditches, (I'm too lazy to look back and find out) but it's worth mentioning twice if I did. It's by Jimmy Olsen, and it's fantastic.

Most recently I read The Road by Cormac Mccarthy. It's what The Stand (Stephen King) would have been had Hemingway written it and it had been ordained by God. AMAZING. Wow. I don't want to say anything more but...wow. It is A-MAZING. Ok. That's all.

And, finally, now I'm reading Go Down, Moses, by William Faulkner. I have to say, it's the first time I've ever used Sparks Notes online to help me understand a damn book, and it's been VERY helpful, so far.

Ok. And, finally, the 2008 presidential campaign has officially begun. For those of you who haven't heard, Tom Vilsack of Iowa and Rudi Guiliani have both thrown their proverbial hats into the ring. So....who is going to make it to the heated campaigning and who is going to go down in a fury of flames and controversy?

All right....you all have an unbelievably great night...and we'll talk soon.
Thanks for stopping by...

Tommy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously. Vilsack? what is he thinking? just because his wife endorsed John Kerry 2 years ago- that make him a worthy candidate?
and now we have a new governor - -his name--- is Chet!! dammit!

Brad

aaron said...

Vilsack only stands a chance if you're superstitious because governors traditionally fare better in presidential elections then senators.

He doesn't bring anything to the table. Especially after the line item veto that would have lowered business taxes. Iowa has some of the highest in the country and that's an easy fix to attract new businesses (and potentially keep us all from leaving).

Anonymous said...

Wow...I didn't know me posting "Make with the damn posts" would cause you to write anything...Sweet...

Well, I can tell you that my mom is pissed that the Stem Cell Initiative passed because the tax payers are funding the research. I don't think that's so bad, which is why I voted for it.

Just goes to prove that people want better shit, but don't want to pay for it. That's retarded...and queer ;)