Tuesday, June 27, 2006

...transitions...

So, I've got this theory. Kirksville, is a town in transition. As a college town, and one with a medical school to boot, Kirksville is a a very transitory experience. People coming and going like a busboy through the diner of one's life, and all that.

I've viewed this unique aspect of Americana for the past 9 years, with a range of emotions, although amused interest was the most prevalent.

However, it has become painfully obvious, in light of recent events, that my perspective has changed, entirely unbeknownst to me. Instead of seeing this transitory town from a transfixed position, I am now seeing it as one on the verge, the cusp, of leaving. And, I gotta be honest. It sucks.

There are aspects that are wonderful. I am SO blissfully loving married life. I'm really excited about our possibilities in the near future. However, somethings have become....different....they've changed. (Although, my beautiful--and wise--wife has pointed out that perhaps the "things" haven't changed, its' actually me that has changed....food for though to be sure....)

Karaoke.

I went tonight. As I always do. And, as Bibi and I sat there...at a table full of people...it dawned on me...that we didn't "fit". I realized that the people that we were sitting with...were not sitting with us. And, it slowly occurred to me that these people, who I've considered to be close friends, have become VERY distant recently. Just a few short years ago, karaoke was the one thing...the ONE thing that I missed most about Kirksville when I left town. Now? I'm looking forward to next week being out of town and the week after? Who knows what we'll be doing....but it won't be karaoke.

And, this sucks as well. Why? Not because I'm going to miss it all that much....but there are a few people that occassionally go that Bibi and I both really want to see. And, we're going to be going out of our way to set up time to see these people...but it's a new era in my life, and it's hard to enter into these times. Hmm.....prior to signing on and actually typing these words I had a rough idea of what I was going to be writing...and it included a great deal more cursing and more pointed discourse....but this is fine for now.

Huh.

Thanks for reading.

Tommy

3 comments:

JNo said...

Many changes can occur with marriage and things change when you go from "college kid" to "working poor" in the same town. Really can mess with your head! Especially in a sort of high-profile job like ours. Your business is dissected EVERYWHERE - thus my somewhat recluse life! Hang in there - we'll be up town after school Friday.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. Our friends changed so drastically after we got married; after we eased into the "Working adult" life. It is so crazy.

Then sometimes I wake up and go, "Holy cow, I'm 27!" I feel like I Should be 18, you know? So, so weird.

I like to hear about the transitions. We struggle with the same thing.

It's almost a grieving of sorts that you have to go through.

The wedding pictures were wonderful!

Sounds like you have a very wise wife :)

Jen said...

Dude, Dereck and I are gonna be very_bummed if you stop coming to Karaoke.