Tuesday, December 05, 2006

As per request....

Tis the season, after all.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Gotta be honest…I love me some Egg Nog (and, believe it or not...Corndogs...don't ask.) But, there’s nothing quite like pumpkin/holiday spice coffee from Java Co….

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? When Santa used to come, he would leave the presents under the tree unwrapped. My parents would not let us go into the living room until they had gotten their coffee, had gotten the camera ready, and had seen what Santa had brought before we did.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I absolutely LOVE the larger colored lights…the kind that are a little bigger than a hersey’s kiss? Those are awesome….so good.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Every single year that I have been in Kirksville I have looked for mistletoe, and not ONCE have I been able to find it. Bah! Humbug!!! However, had I been able to find it, you bet your sweet arse I woulda hung that stuff up! (Now, I just have to point at my cheek and Bibi kisses me….it’s nice!!!)

5. When do you put your decorations up? I’m currently working on legislation that would make it a capital offense to put up ANY decorations before Thanksgiving. In fact, I think it’s ludicrous to listen to Christmas music and put up decorations before the Sunday AFTER Thanksgiving, but that’s just me. However, once that Sunday comes…it’s officially ON.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Definitely sweet potatoes, although turkey is a CLOSE second. (There are few joys in life greater than a cold turkey sandwich the days/weeks after Christmas.)

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Hmm…. I don’t know. I have to think about this one. Oh, heck, this one’s easy. (It loses something in the writing process, but I seriously sat here for ten minutes thinking this one over, and then it came to me, and I’m sitting her smacking myself on the forehead for not thinking of it automatically!) Every year, before Christmas dinner, my mom would give us our “table presents”. The “table present” is a small gift bag placed in front of your place at the dinner table, and it was always an ornament for the tree….but, it was MY ornament. So, when I left for college, I had 18 years of ornaments that were MINE, for my tree. It’s always been one of my favorite parts of Christmas.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What do you mean….? Oh, in fourth grade, my sister was in the Joffrey Ballet’s version of The Nutcracker, and she performed in Washington D.C. at the Kennedy Center. So, we were there over Christmas, and afterwards it really got me thinking….how does Santa know where were going to be….how does he get into places without chimneys….and, at that age, I started realizing that it was kind of a preposterous idea. So, I asked my dad. It really took him back, and he struggled for what seemed like a couple of minutes, and then he told me the truth. It was that same time that I found out that the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy weren’t real, either. Damn shame, I’m telling you. However, “Santa” still came until I was in college. He’s cool like that. (c;

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We opened all our gifts on Christmas Eve, growing up, and we got Santa’s gifts on Christmas morning. We still open all our presents on Christmas Eve, except with two houses, we have Christmas Eve at my mom’s house, and then on Christmas Day we have “Christmas Eve” at my dad’s house. And, I think we’ve always gone youngest to oldest (woo hoo!!!), although I don’t remember for sure.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Lights first, then ornaments, then tinsel. Christmas music is a must, and cocoa and cookies are a necessity. It should be an all day (or at the very least afternoon) affair. And, you should take your time and enjoy the simple beauty of each decoration before putting it on the tree. Tinsel should be applied one strand at a time, and only after a few minutes are you allowed to get frustrated with that progress and begin throwing large handfuls of the stuff on the tree. (But, then, you need to straighten it, so that it looks somewhat even—you don’t want the tinsel to cause the tree to tip over!!) Oh, and you should put one strand of lights up the middle of the three, in order to make it look a bit fuller.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Absolutely love it. It’s great stuff.

12. Can you ice skate?
I’m pretty sure. I mean, I’ve never tried, but how hard can it be? (c;

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My number one favorite? Yeah, right. However, I will list my top 3 favorites. My sister Amy gave me a book about me when we were in college. It was really sweet. I still have that (of course!!!) and love looking at it every now and then. There is a SWEET picture of her attacking me with a saw. I LOVED getting my letter jacket my freshman year in high school, although “Tommy” in cursive looks way too close to “Tammy”. And, my dad always got me the newest Calvin and Hobbes books whenever they would come out, and last year he gave me the complete collection of C&H. Awesome.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Remembering that God loves us. Plain and simple.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? There is a little known treat called Cabin Bars. The fundamental aspects are: chocolate, marshmallow, peanuts. However, there is peanut butter and a few other things in there that make it perfect for Jesus’ birthday. Plus? I named ‘em.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Table presents. See above.


17. What tops your tree? Saddest thing in the world…we had/have an amazing tree topper that is made of some kind of a light wood and it is of the archangel Michael and he is holding a harp. It’s beautiful, and delicate, and touching. And, as old as I am, so it’s in pieces.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? I like helping other people, by allowing them the joy of giving, which in turn gives me the joy of giving AND receiving. (I’m selfish that way!!!) No, seriously…I do love giving, but I don’t feel like I’m good at thinking of gifts on my own….so, it’s only when I have some sudden brainstorm that makes me think like I’m on the right track that I feel good about giving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I think anything Johnny Mathis is wonderful. However, The Christmas Song, performed by Nat King Cole has to be up there. (Manheim Steamroller, Tran-Siberian Orchestra, Frank Sinatra, etc. All great.) And, if you haven’t checked out the Maybe This Christmas Cd’s, please….do yourself a favor and go get ‘em today.

Oh!! Keep the Person of the Year suggestions coming!! (c;

Thanks for reading....

Tommy

4 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for playing!

POTY? Must read more about this.

What is the Maybe This Christmas CD?

JNo said...

Harry Connick Jr has some awesome Christmas Cds too! We got ornaments every year too - just not as a table present - everything else is about the same!

Anonymous said...

FYI...WalMart may not carry all things at all times, but they actually have mistletoe back with all the other Christmas stuff...go getcha some :)

Chuck said...

YEA!!! CORN DOGS AND EGG NOG!!!!!!!!!