Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Live blogging the State of the Union Address....

If you watched the State of the Union, here are my thoughts, as the speech happened. If you didn't? Well, these are still my thoughts as the speech happened.

Man, they clap a lot.

First time in the history of America that a woman has sat among the three at the head of the auditorium.

Seems as if the Democrats are doing up the civility thing a bit much. Are they actually cheering?!

Standing ovation for Madame Speaker. That's neat.

I have to say....there is a great deal of happiness in that building.

It's almost like a Catholic mass! Sit, stand, sit, stand, shake hands, sit, stand, sit stand....etc.

It's always funny how whichever party is NOT in the majority cries foul against the other party in respect to their bipartisinship. (Sp?!)

Balance the budget? How...uh, exactly do you think we should do that? By continuing to pay for an outrageously expensive war, while eliminating the cost of education by creating a ridiculous plan for taking away the funds of schools that meet a near-impossible expectation?

Eliminating wasteful earmarks? Sounds VERY good. Good

I like how Pelosi did NOT clap at the allusion to vouchers, but she DID applaud at the part about providing failing students with extra help. It's REALLy funny seeing how different Cheney and Pelosi react.

Health Insurance:
I may be wrong...but I don't think that most people take the tax structure into account when considering whether they can afford health insurance.

Is it just me, or does Dick Cheney's inner monologue sound like Billy Bob Thornton from Sling Blade? "I don't reckon' I got no reason to kill no body....mmmmmm".

I do appreciate that Bush is making an effort to acknowledge the fact that this country does depend a great deal on the work (not mooching---WORK!!) of immigrants, legal or otherwise.

I forget who said this, it wasn't me, but John Kerry looks like one of the trees that throws apples at Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.

Nucular. (c;
Yay ethenol!!!
I think I've heard Obama speak on the topic of energy independence, and he's got some great ideas. Obama recognizes that our dependence on foreign sources of oil ARE a threat to our national security, not just a "tree-hugger" issue.

Did you see that?! Robin Williams was right!!! George Bush is actually Cheney's puppet!!! They DRANK WATER A THE SAME TIME!!!! Bush can't speak while Cheney is drinking!!!!

Am I the only one who had never heard about those terrorist plots that we thwarted? Geez, I thought I was doing a good job staying on top of the news....yeesh....

Every time Bush mentions Iran, I assume he's about to announce that we're going to war against them, too.

Not to open up a WHOLE can of worms....but, terrorists are terrorists not because they hate freedom, but because they hate what they perceive to be the grave offenses we have committed against them. It's a bit of a difference.

As I teach my kids, you need to explain to me what SPECIFICALLY what qualify as a "victory" in Iraq. I don't feel like you've gone into enough detail as far as achievable steps towards that all to vague goal of "victory". Need more evidence to support your claim.

Talking about the reallocation of Iraqi oil funds SOUNDS good, but the Iraqi oil infrastructure is so far gone and in such a state of disrepair, that it's going to take a great deal of Iraqi monetary investment to get to the point where Iraqi oil will provide the country with profits. Where does that initial money come from?

How are you going to increase the number of recruits in the military when you're getting us further bogged down in an increasingly unpopular war? Every time we send troops back for another tour of duty, people who would have volunteered for the armed forces have more reasons to doubt the benefits of that choice.

You should all check out Larry Brilliant's work in helping to eliminate Small Pox from the world. It's impressive. (Bush was talking about our work on AIDS/HIV, and malaria.

Dikembe Motumbo is nineteen feet tall.

Baby Einstein and America's Most Wanted, working side-by-side? I mean, yeah...it makes sense if you think about it, but that's like....Run DMC and Aerosmith doing a song together....

Damn! The Dems are in a RUSH to get out of there!!!!

All right...that's all.

What did you all think of the SOTU address?

Tommy

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Your account of the address is the best thing I've read about it so far!

Love it!