Monday, September 25, 2006

The Long and Winding Post

OK. Here I go! I’m going to go point by point, beginning with the first poster and moving on through them….so, if you read the comments to the previous post, you’ll be on track, and if you didn’t, well….I think you really should.

“Anonymous”: The reason that it took so long to reply is that I was contemplating whether it was possible for someone to hold such utterly negative views about teachers. I didn’t want to come back angrily, because chances are that if you really feel that way, it’s because of some awful teacher/student relationship that you had, and I didn’t want to add to it. However, whether you were serious or not, I believe it important to address your points.

First of all, I think we do have private schools. Those are mostly available to the wealthy, and schooling, I believe, should be available to all. If you disagree, I would ask you to explain how exactly you would solve the ensuing rampant rise in crime, poverty, and unemployment that would occur by limiting educational opportunities to the vast majority of Americans who could not afford private schooling. It would be inevitable.

Second. Paying teachers based on student performance? If you want to move in that direction, then I would have to suggest that you look into how parents would then be held accountable for the work done at home. Also, your previous suggestion that we withhold education from the poor and less economically independent would seem to compound this problem.

Third: I agree. Too many teachers do complain about our salaries. We knew what we were getting into when we began teaching. However, I do take issue with the idea that teachers work 8-3 for nine months out of the year. Most teachers, myself included, work until 5 or 6 (at the minimum) while arriving at work before 7. (One of my coworkers is at work at 6am everyday.) We also spend, on average, something like $1500 out of our own pocket each year. (Newer teachers end up spending much more.) Teachers work weekends, holidays and most, as JNo said, do teach or work over the summer. So, yes, the actual “teaching” part is mostly from 8-3, but that is hardly the entirety of our job.

Next, would come your comment about my presumption that I can write educational policy. I don’t believe that I am “writing educational policy”. I believe that I made a comment for the general public’s review about what might be done to help our current educational system. However, aside from the somewhat specious argument about Bill Gates, you did not specifically address the validity of my comments. So, I’m curious….what in particular about my suggestions would lead you to believe that I am unable to come up with solutions to educational problems. (In other words, what was wrong with my suggestions?)

As far as salaries are concerned? Well, I’m not really concerned with them at all. I am, however, concerned with the notion that you do not consider teaching “hard”. I don’t think that I will be able to convince you otherwise, but I hardly think that teachers who take their jobs seriously have an “easy” job. It may not be a matter of immediate life and death, but I would say that inspiring minds, and leading young people to the realization that education is a gateway to greater things, while combating the numerous hindrances and obstacles that we face each day (drugs, alcohol, bad parents, violence in school, and the overwhelming number of students who are disillusioned, over-medicated, under-medicated and spoiled…just to name a few) is of some consequence beyond the “A-/B+” oversimplification.

Not dangerous? Just talk to the teachers in Columbine, Kentucky, Arkansas, Minnesota, as well as the 40 other schools around the world in the last TEN years alone that have had incidents of gun violence that have resulted in deaths. Not to mention the numerous problems that we all know plague inner-city schools, as well as many non inner-city schools.

I don’t know about you, but the ability to get a job? Seems a bit profitable to me. Now, it may require a bit of patience and the ability to see past tomorrow, but I don’t think it any less profitable then your stock broker example.

You claim that teachers don’t need to be intelligent? Well, no, to a bad, ineffective teacher, one doesn’t need to be intelligent. In order to rally 25 diverse individuals around one topic, to inspire and prod, to creatively and thoughtfully manage and instill values (that are inherent in the learning process itself) to spark curiosity, to push students to higher levels of achievement….these things DO indeed take intelligence.


Now, Brad. Why are schools responsible for feeding children? Unfortunately because some parents are not able to—and some are not willing to. It’s that simple. That is why we feed them. Because if we don’t…sometimes NO one will.

Why is it the schools job to educate pregnant teenagers? Because I don’t want to, nor would I ever, restrict my teaching services. I teach her because that teenage mother is no less deserving of an education than any other student.

However, I will say that I agree wholeheartedly that vocational schools are given a completely undeserved reputation. I don’t believe that college is for everyone. I don’t think that it should be. I think that vocational schools should be given the respect that any other institution is given.

Unfortunately, your oversimplification of the roles of teachers vs. doctors is beneath you and your obvious intellect and class. Don’t let the anger of a few individuals lower the level of discourse. Teachers do much more than assign grades; our jobs demand more than parent-teacher conferences, and our hours are far beyond detention duty.

I can only speak for myself, but I don’t believe that all 14-16 year olds are INCAPABLE of knowing what they want, but I don’t think that that means that we need to open the option to all students. I imagine that many students would unknowingly limit their own chances and opportunities by picking something their friends would pick or their parents pick for them. (They are, after all, minorities, and would still be under the guidance of the parents.) I don’t think any kids should be forced into any path…but I don’t think any kids should be limited from any paths, either. Education is about opening opportunities.

Your next point? Segregating classes based on gender? Actually, there is much evidence to suggest that this is very beneficial, especially in inner-city situations. I personally think it’s a great option.

FINALLY. To all of my readers, I honestly appreciate your interest in this topic. The great thing about America is our ability to disagree and still have open lines of communication. I would, however, ask that you leave respectful comments. And, to my anonymous poster: Please. If you would like to continue the dialogue, as I would, kindly put a name to your posts, whether it be real or not, I couldn’t care less. It would be helpful if everyone was able to identify precisely with whom they are dialoguing.

That is all. And, once again…your thoughts?

Tommy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Tommy.
You used way too many parenthetical expressions not to be somewhat intelligent. :)

You rock!

Anonymous said...

First,
I was responding to Jenorama's hysterical remarks that seemed to imply that teaching was the most difficult profession on earth and challenged the physicians role within a community. My simplistic response wasn't meant as a dig to the challenge that teachers face, it was merely exposing the fact that different professions have different demands and challenges that don't deserve to be insulted
You misunderstood my response when you took them out of context - i'm sorry for that.

In regards to vocational school. It isn't always a matter of options, its also about ability. We want the best for the youth, but where is the encouragement to enter a trade school, for example. As a teacher you should know best the indignities that teachers face (ie: those that can't do, teach). Our society has branded work in a trade/craft to be a second or third class profession and the school system is just as guilty of spreading that myth as the rest of society.
The school system should reward students that have different gifts in different ways; rather than subjecting them to an education that most will eventually end up resenting instead of cherishing.

-Brad

Also, I would like to direct your readers attention to your initial post about education so I will not be misinterpreted -- oh, and that I may also be apologized to for being called a troll.

Anonymous said...

Also, I believe Brad or anonymous or whoever made the comment that doctors have hard jobs - how do we define "hard", exactly? Hours worked? Clientele dealt with? Inconveniences to personal life?

Tommy Estlund said...

Again. I FULLY agree that Vocational/Trade Schools should be given the respect and admiration, let alone validity that other programs are given. I also must agree that the present educational system does not confer said respect. I wanted to differentiate myself from the crowd.

Tommy

Anonymous said...

great post Tommy. I appreciate the time and thought you put into your words.

Obviously, I didn't mean any of the comments I said on the earlier post -- I was simply playing the devil's advocate and trying to get people to give critical, logical, and intelligent comments... for the most part, that happened.

Except for Jenorama -- I was pretty disappointed that you were overwhelmed by emotion and responded with a "and that's why the dumbest person in the world was elected president." Sorry, Jenorama, but I think you distinguished yourself as the title with that comment.

Tommy, it's obvious to me that you are passionate about your job and I respect that tremendously. Your students are very lucky to have such a great guy that cares so much about his job.