Thursday, September 07, 2006

Who's on First?

I wanted to write a post, a little more in depth, about this past weekend. On the way down to Oklahoma City, we left at about 6 in the morning. Bibi slept a little, and I rocked out to my iPod. Now, when I say I rocked out...I need to be more specific. It's a little like one of those awesome Volkswagon commercials from the 90's. I was dancing, singing....hell, I may have even been tapping the brake pedal to get some strobe lighting going on for those people fortunate enough to be stuck behind me. At one point, while getting my groove on to The Sugar Hill Gang (may have been either Tonto, Jump On It! or Rapper's Delight...I don't remember)...I looked to my right, and there was Bibi, looking up at me with a huge grin on her face as she said, "you...are SUCH a dork..." Yes. Yes I am. But, what was cool was Bibi sat up and danced with me multiple times on the trip.

On the way home, we were rockin' out to The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again". It was so cool....we were rockin' out to it, and we started talking about the meaning. We had a great conversation about the message behind the lyrics, and how...at this time, it is especially appropro. Here they are...

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed'
Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
No, no!I'll move myself and my family asideI
f we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
For I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
There's nothing in the street
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the party on the left
Is now the party on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

So, that's the song. I know it sounds pessimistic, but it's a great song. Very insightful. That's all.

We enjoyed talking about it. Oh! We also talked about what makes a song "great". The conclusion we came to is that there are two important aspects: 1) It's gotta be great instrumentation, and 2) it's gotta have good lyrics.

For example....ALL of Johnny Cash's collection. Someday by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Feelin' Good Again by Robert Earl Keen. Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve.

So...here's the question....what song(s) stand out to you...both musically and lyrically?

You have two minutes.....
GO!

Thanks for stopping by...
Tommy

6 comments:

JNo said...

Evermore sung by Allison Krause and written by Sandra Boyton - off the Dog Trail cd. It's a kid song - kind of a parent to child thing, but it's sweet. There's some more rockin' stuff, but I'll need more than the 2 minute time limit!

Evermore I will love you,
Evermore I will stay,
Right here to hold you,
Never so far away.

And though I know sometime you'll go,
To find your way alone,
Evermore I will love you,
You are ever my own.

Anonymous said...

That Who song was listed #1 in the top 50 Conservative songs of all time by National Review. I think its especially worth mentioning the time it was written -- in the midst of the 70s counterculture movement.

-brad

Jen said...

I have been thinking about posting about how I am listening a lot to Tears for Fears' album The Hurting, and the title song and the song Mad World (the reason I bought the album) from the movie Donnie Darko.

It's a dark album. I love it.

JNo said...

Okay, after our conversation today, I'm just saying EVERYTHING more or less by Billy Joel fits the "great" theme. Especially Greatest Hits Volumes 1, 2, and 3. Another possibly separate category would be "break up" songs. The "you done me wrong you s. o. b." and I'm better off without your ass. New topic????

Rebecca said...

Umm, questions like these make me itch. Everywhere. How can I possibly pick a song, or songs, or sonnnnngggggsssss. There are simly too many to pick from that are all so delightful in their own most-awesome-song-ever way.

So, right now, I'm listening to Rent. And Rent. And more Rent. Also, some Nickel Creek(they are almost too good to be true).

rebecca

Chuck said...

Ahh...easy one...Debbie Gibson's "Lost In Your Eyes" Makes me think of you, Tommy, everytime I hear it.

Okay, that was gross.

No, but seriously... CCR - Fortunate Son. Reminds me everytime I hear it of both the Vietnam War and the draft; as well as George W Bush.

I won't get into the politics, but there it is.