Friday, April 07, 2006

struggling...

this week has been really hard; really, really hard. It's had some massive ups, and some fairly substantial downs.

I'm struggling with the concept of personal responsibility. Specifically, how I'm going to emphasize this unbelievably importnat concept to my students. There seems to me to be a complete and total lack of this value/quality/characterstic in my (some of my) students..and it's really frustrating. I can't really say anything more than that, but suffice it to say, I'm cooking up some lessons on accountability. Any suggestions will be duly noted and utilized.

On the up end of the week, Bibi and I are officially going on a honeymoon, and we're ecstatic! We're going to Aruba, and we bought our plane tickets earlier this week. (Thanks Bibi!)

I'm reading New Religious Movements still, and it's fascinating. I especially enjoyed the chapters on Rastafarians, and the Family Movement. Very intriguing. Curious theological ideologies. I found the idiosyncratic language used by Rastafarians quite inspiring, in all honesty. I've heard the whole Jamaican "I and I" phrase before, but I did not understand that it symbolizes the unity in the Rastafarian community, in that all people are connected, and when you say "I and I" for the pronoun "we" you are signifying the interconnectedness of the group. Really cool.

Thanks for reading...

Tommy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy-
FYI if you're feeling nostalgic for Kirksville and you google "tommy kirksville", the link to your blog if the first thing that shows up. Just thought I'd say hi. Heard about the engagement through Dave's friends Kate and Jared--Congrats (a little late, I know).

Amanda (formerly Conover) Daniels, formerly of Kirksville (currently of KC), last time I saw you we were watching kickboxing (about a billion years ago)

Jen said...

I'll try to think about the accountability issue.

That is awesome about the honeymoon! Woo hoo!

Now, you just need to figure out who is gonna marry you...

That book you're reading sounds awesome. I'd love to meet the author sometime...

Heather said...

Don't feel alone in the need to find a way to teach personal responsibility. I'm still working on that one, and it's even scarier with kids who are gifted - who knows what they'll do and not take responsiblity for it! Let me know if you come up with a brilliant plan and I'll do the same. Miss you! Heather a.k.a. H :)