Sunday, October 22, 2006

I can be your hero baby...

So, I feel like there is a lot I want to blog about, but I don't know where to begin.

On the political front, I do enjoy a good debate. As for Obama? Well, the whole cliche' arguement about Democrat's perpetuating a welfare state seems somewhat lackluster during an administration which has done nothing to change our welfare system because it is too busy trying desperately to convince an increasingly large number of people that what we're doing in Iraq is the right thing, when all evidence would point to the contrary. (I will point out that I do think it was a good thing to depose Saddam Hussein--good as in right, or moral.) However, it has become increasingly obvious that Bush is unable--or unwilling--to acknowledge his own mistakes. And, what is worse in my opinion, Bush seems unwilling, or again unable, to acknowledge that times change. What may have worked two years ago is not necessarily going to work now. He seems to think that any change of course will play into the hands of "the enemy", and that means that we are stuck on this ridiculous path that seems to have no successful conclusion whatsoever.

Now, does Obama have the solution? I wouldn't be the right person to ask. However, according to Obama this morning on Meet the Press, Iraq is a situation with either a bad solution or a worse solution. In other words, this will not end well. So we need to be able to assess the situation realistically and to reflect on whether or not what we're doing now is leading us down that path. In all honesty, I don't see in Bush the level of character needed in order to tackle that kind of contemplation.

In other news, it flurried today, here in Kirksville, MO. I love fall, I love winter, and I love spring and summer. I love all four seasons. As my friend Aaron said to me this weekend, "Purgatory is not having four seasons." I like that.

Oh, and for those of you in the mood for a good movie, check out "In America". It's about an Irish family that moves to New York. Fan-freakin'-tastic movie.

All right. Well, enjoy the last few days of October.

And remember if you're trying to impress someone this week...it's a "dog eat dog" world, not a doggie-dog world.

Thanks for reading...

Tommy

No comments: