Friday, November 09, 2007

This moment brought to you by Joe Firstman...

So, earlier this evening, while Bibi and I were attempting to enjoy a relaxing evening watching episodes of the Sopranos, and just "chillin' out", as the kids say, something really cool happened.

Gracie had been a bit fussy, throughout the evening; she had not really napped at all during the day, so she was kind of feeling the effects of that this evening. (It should be stated that Grace responds MUCH better to Bibi's attempts to un-fussify her than to mine.) Bibi had been putting forth a valiant effort, but to very little success. Bibi has also been feeling a bit under the weather, and had had a REALLY busy day trying to get the word out about our new (and TEMPORARY!!) dog, so she was feeling kind of beat after trying to calm Grace's nerves. She asked me if I wouldn't mind taking a shot. I said of course not, and I took Grace. We started walking up and down the hall and through the living room, while Bibi started a load of dishes; I decided to put on some music, and attached my iPod to the stereo; and chose, after some deliberation, Grace's soundtrack, which, if you don't remember, Bibi and I put together shortly after Grace was born. We were walking, I was swaying, and I was kind of singing to Grace as we went, when our (Bibi and I) song came on. It's a song by Joe Firstman, called, "Car Door (Dancing in the Aisles)" and we used to listen to it driving down to Kansas City together shortly after we got married. It's, on a very basic level, about a couple who is unblelievably happy together, and about how special little moments together are. Well, it just kind of struck me, as songs are wont to do, how amazingly blessed I am, as I stood their dancing with my beautiful daughter, watching my wife, and I started to get a little choked up (ok, I started bawling) and as the tears began (gushed) Gracie put her hand on my neck and started to pull herself to me, in a sweet little hug.

Nothing--nothing!--could ever compare to that feeling. It is, in a word, amazing. The title of this blog could not BE more appropriate.

God bless everyone, and have a wonderful weekend....

Thanks for stopping by.

Tommy

3 comments:

Barbara said...

There is nothing like having the love of a family! We are certainly blessed. When I read about your daughter putting her hand on your neck and pulling you up to her, I thought about our daughter's third child and 2nd son (she has 3 boys and a girl),when he was young. He loved to be cuddled on your chest. At a very young age, it seemed he could understand your hurts. He would put that small, delicate hand on your back and pat very softly. It was one of the most moving things! Children are indeed a blessing from God.

Unknown said...

so cool, huh? :) ah, Tommy, I am so glad you are enjoying parenthood so much! She is a little doll!

JNo said...

So. . . are you taking another mulligan? You're about out of time for November!