Friday, December 10, 2004

TGIF

Greetings to the one or two of you that are reading this. (It's interesting--in all of my writing classes, I was always told to be mindful of your audience--and I don't think the teachers knew about the wonderful world of technology that stood just offstage waiting in the wings.) I told myself when I started this I would write every day. However, things just are't always that feasible. Last night was one of those times. I had a meeting at 5:15, and I had to rush home in order to get back into town to make it. I did, rest easy, make it on time. But, the night just seemed rushed. However, I did go to karaoke last night which was--as always--an interesting experience. Here in Kirksville going to Toons on a Thursday night is like an episode of Jerry Springer with a two drink minimum. (In other words, if you gathered any five people together, you MIGHT have a complete set of teeth. )

Yesterday was good though. My kids were cracking me up. They're so funny sometimes. And this group is cool because they can usually read me well, so they know when to back up and focus, and when the can kind of "let go". That's great.

Today we're having our first read-in of the year. For those of you who don't know what that means, let me explain. We start by moving all the desks out of the way. Then, the entire class (me included) spreads throughout the room and relaxes with a good book/books for the entire day. The kids bring in snacks, I sip my coffee, and everyone just enjoys a good read. And this is an especially great activity on a day like this--cold, dreary, and gray. (One might even say it was slightly despressing--if today weren't such a great day in the first place.

Well, I need to go. My book is calling my name. Tonight I work at the restaurant. Shouldn't be too bad. I do enjoy working there, and I don't work tomorrow which will be really really nice. All right...so long from cyberspace...

Tommy

No comments: