Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteren's Day

Ok, so here is what I was thinking this morning...we had a Veteran come and speak to our class. He was really cool, and he explained the proper way to fold a flag, which was interesting. (Anyone out there know why we fold it into a triangle?)

Ok, so it sent my mind off to a bittersweet memory that stands out for some reason...

The summer after my freshman year in college, I worked in Alaska for a month(ish). I was in a fish camp, gutting salmon. I took six rolls of pictures, and I loved the entire time...it was definitely a fall from innocense, a wake up call, and a BIG growing experience. However, the flag in our camp still remains in my memory.

The flag flew over our camp cookhouse. It was this unbelievably ragged, weather-beaten flag...it looked almost war torn. I took this picture of the flag, against this dark ominous cloud in the background as it was whipping in the wind...it looked so much like a flag one might see during war time. I was in this camp over the fourth of July, and I think that may have actually been when I took the picture. I was SO proud of the picture, and couldn't wait to get it blown up. Here's where the bittersweet part comes in...I was using my brand new (for me) Alice Pack (army backpack) on the trip. There are three pockets on the back that are not entirely tight when closed...and somewhere between Eggegik, Alaska, and LaCrosse, Wisconsin, that one roll of film fell out of my backpack. So, either on a plane, in the hotel room in Anchorage, or on the train, there is a roll of film, with my picture. Ugh. )c:

Oh, well. At least I still have the picture in my mind, right? (c;

Have a great day...and thanks to ALL our veteran's and our service people serving today....God bless you all!

and, thanks for reading...

Tommy

No comments: