Saturday, November 19, 2005

Walk the Line

So, I saw the movie Walk the Line today. Wow. That is all I can say. First of all, Johnny Cash was amazing, and second of all, Joaquin Phoenix WAS Johnny Cash. I gotta be honest--before this movie? Didn't much care for the guy as an actor. However, the fact that he (and Reese Witherspoon, who was ALSO AMAZING) sang the songs, was unbelievable! Holy cow...just, absolutely amazing.

Also, I'm reading a book now called New Found Land, by Allan Wolf. It's a poetic re-vision of Lewis and Clark adventure. The story is told through fourteen different perspectives, in such an amazing way. Sacagawea, Lewis, Clark, York, as well as many others. The interesting thing about the book is that each character is a COMPLETE character...each person brings his or her own personalities and view points (Sacagawea's poetic spirituality, York's yearing for freedom after the trek, Lewis' dark and tormented struggle with depression, etc.) to the narration.

Also, Lewis' dog, Seaman, is the main narrator of the story. He is, as an animal, able to have certain insights that other character's can't have, and is the glue for the whole story. I'm almost four hundred pages into it (nearing the end) and I can't stop reading...this book is DEFINITELY one of the rare "WOW!!!" books that one is lucky to find.

Ok, that's all...

Thanks for reading!

Tommy

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh, I definitely need to get that book for my kids. Today.