Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Interesting thoughts...

After last night's State of the Union address, many interesting conversations have been had, I'm sure. One thing that I was pretty bothered by was the "obvious violation of freedom of speech" in the arrest of Cindy Sheehan. I thought it pretty horrible that she was removed from the gallery of the capitol for wearing an anti-Bush shirt, until I read this article on cnn.com...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/31/sheehan.arrest/index.html

Evidenly, it wasn't as cut and dry as I thought. Seems a congressman's wife was removed for wearing a shirt that said, "Support Our Troops." So, it wasn't just a case of Cindy Sheehan being gagged, and her freedom of speech being trampled...it was a bit more complicated than that...there are rules in the Capital that prohibit "demonstrations." Whether one agrees with that rule--the fact of the matter is IT IS a rule--and in this case, it was enforced in a non-discriminatory fashion.

Huh.

Reading "America: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction" by John Stewart. REALLY funny stuff. (I got it for Christmas a year ago, and my pile of books JUST got down to where I'm reading it now.)

Good stuff...oh, and I feel kind of cool. Evidently my description of "For the Time Being" was pretty persuasive, as a friend has requested to borrow it. I feel cool! I was able to convince someone to read something based on this site!!! whoo hoo!

Oh, and a coworker gave me her Life Soundtrack today. Great stuff!!!

thanks!!

(for reading....)
Tommy

No comments: