Friday, February 03, 2006

Serendipity, Fate, Hand of God...you know, good stuff

So, something very cool happened last night, after something not cool. Let me explain.

I got home from school, and went apartment shopping with Bibi. Then we had dinner, and she went to her sorority function, while I went home to read. Well, I went home to read, but decided to play Nintendo instead. (This factors in shortly.) My friend Dave called me, and he and I chatted...he and his wife are having a hard time, and he's coming up this weekend b/c she's moving out. We talked, and it was a good conversation.

I stopped playing my game, and decided to read a little bit. I went to get "America" but realized that I had left it at school, which has NEVER happened before. No biggie, a book from www.bookcrossing.com had arrived yesterday in the mail. I tried to read, but really couldn't concentrate. Bibi called me, and i went over to her place with my book. She noticed that I wasn't reading, and was really sad...I know that Bibi and I are not Dave and his wife; but seeing your best friend get divorced after 7 months of marriage makes you think about all the things that are out there that you can't possibly be prepared for, try as you might. Bibi was sitting on her bed trying to comfort me, and she saw the book. "The Prophet" by Kahil Gibran. She opened to the page I had read about 17 times--and not caught a single word--and started reading.

"And he raised his head and looked upon the people, and there fell a stillness upon them. And with a great voice he said:
When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you, believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden."

She looked up at me, and I looked at her, and we both smiled. Yeah, love is hard. It's going to be hard, and undoubtedly, there are going to be times of difficulty we can't prepare for. But we are choosing love, and we are choosing to follow love together.

Biblically speaking, a Prophet did not NECESSARILY read the future...a prophet was one who saw through the present to the reality of the situation. I have to thank Kahil Gibran. We still have prophets today.

Thanks for reading...

Tommy

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! And yes Tommy, it is hard. And also beautiful.

Anonymous said...

http://www.topnotchresort.com
http://www.bigcedar.com
And in case you're interested...
http://www.stpaulhotel.com/