Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Weekly update

Hey ya'll!

Well, it's been awhile, b/c we've had an unexpected vacation! On Wednesday, we knew that it was going to be messy over night, and it might get kind of slick. Well, Thursday I woke up and it was VERY icy, but I didn't think we would be let out of school, so I went ahead to school. After sitting in my classroom for a half an hour working, I decided to go down to the main commons area and chat with some fellow teachers; it was then that I found out school was cancelled. Unfortunately, many kids were already on their way/at school, so they had to turn around and go back. It was a very confusing an unfortunate situation.

We also found out Thursday night that school was cancelled for Friday. I had been subpeonoed for a child custody battle, and that was settled out of court, so that meant my Friday was completely free. (Oh, and we didn't have school yesterday, which added up to a five day weekend for yours truly. Whoo hoo!!! (c;)

Friday night I held a huge party for Bibi, as her 22nd birthday is tomorrow, and her sister and best friend were able to come into Kville for the weekend. That was fun--although, afterwards, when we went to Pancake City for grub-postparty--a college student called me sir. SIR! Can you believe the nerve?! Dammit--I'm NOT a SIR yet. Argh.

The rest of the weekend was relaxing and nice. Oh--since last I talked, I've read a few books. The Shroud of the Thwacker was amusing. It was kind of monotonous, but overall enjoyable. And, for the record--Sara!!!--I did not LOVE it. It was good, but not fantastic or anything. After that I read "the Pearl" by John Steinbeck. HOLY crap. WHAT an amazing book!!! (That one I did love!) Steinbeck--can he do anything wrong?! I submit that he cannot!! (Well, literary wise...I don't know what kind of a person he was or anything.)

Now I'm reading a book by David Halberstam. He's one of my favorite non-fiction authors. It's a book called "The Best and the Brightest", and it's a look at the Kennedy administration's involvment in the Vietnam situation. Basically, Halberstam takes a look at all of the people involved in the administration--how their strength's and weaknesses, their power--and lack therein--led to the inevitable quagmire that was Vietnam. I'm nuturing a growing interest in the politics of the early-to-mid 20th century, and the national attitude towards media, communism and politics in general is absolutely fascinating!

All right...have a great Tuesday! (c;

Thanks for reading...
tommy

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks again for including us in Bibi's party! I know what you mean about the "Sir" thing. Believe me. And I *am* old enough.

I agree with you about Steinbeck. You need to read Pastures of Heaven. It's great.