Monday, March 27, 2006

Personal Update

So, before you read any further, know that this is a post that will be delving into a fairly personal topic. However, if you would like to read on, please do.

Bibi and I have discussed in the past the idea of "charting" as family planning, and pregnancy achievment. I had ironically read a little about this at a friend's blog, and my favorite tv show has done some really funny episodes all about cervical mucus, cervical position and temps. So, I was prepared somewhat.

However, Bibi's mom gave us a book called, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility", which is basically a really well written guide to fertility and the changes a woman's body goes through during their monthly cycle. Bibi and I agreed that we would read it together, and I have to say...it's been AWESOME. The book is absolutely fascinating, and we are having such a blast learning about the charting process as a couple.

Just a couple of things that I've though about as I've been reading...(nothing profound, but interesting nonetheless)

--why is it that most of the "responsibility" for birth control is placed on women, when women are fertile for only about a 1/4 of their cycle, and men are fertile ALL the time?!

--why do they not tell men about the crazy range of side-effects related to common birth control methods, so that we could possibly be a bit more understanding?!

--the human body is absolutely AMAZING. it's awesome, in the TRUE meaning of "awesome". It's awe-inspiring.

All right...that's all.

Oh, still reading Good Omens, still enjoying it. Also bought a book yesterday called "New Religious Movements," that was edited (put together) by a good friend of mine who works at Truman. I'm excited about it!

Ok...thanks for reading...

Tommy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe...I almost posted a bunch of this stuff last night, but then thought, "Um, who wants to read this?" ;) Yes, it's interesting how so much of the responsibility is placed on the woman, no?

Are you guys wanting kiddos right away or will you wait awhile? I know you can use it for avoidance, too... I hate the Birth control pill, and other forms of...uh...intervention are not so fun...

hey, tell me when you are coming to kc next time...i really want to see you guys!

Unknown said...

Dude...Keri and I have used that book as our family planning guide since year #1 of our marriage. It is outstanding and very interesting. A+ for you, Tommy.

Jen said...

I have read a lot about this method of family planning. I know that my friends Carol and Joe have used it throughout their marriage and it has been successful for them. They have only had one unplanned pregnancy in almost 15 years.

Once you have had your first child, you will be able to read all about how breastfeeding can assist you in family planning too. I used that method for a couple of years... until I got pregnant with Tommy...

I am curious as to why you guys are considering this option-- is it a based on the side effects of hormonal birth control? Or something else? But I know that is very personal.

Anyway, good luck with it! It is very interesting.