Thursday, August 17, 2006

Hey! It's been awhile, hasn't it?

Well, I just finished Bloodsucking Fiends, by Christopher Moore. (For those of you who read me regularly, it's pretty obvious I've got a thing for his books. They're REALLY good!!!! Oh, have you read Lamb yet? WHY NOT?!)

Anyway, back to BF's. It was really good. I am Moore's "friend" on MySpace, and I sent him a message the other day, and he told me that he just sent the sequel to his publisher, so that should be coming out around Christmas. (Yay!) BF's is a very funny novel about vampires. I know, I know, I'm not that into Vampire books either, but this one's really good. Basically, Moore turns the whole concept on it's ear, which is a good thing. Needs to be done every now and then, you know?

So, I started reading a new book today, and it's what I really want to tell you about. (Gee, don't I sound like some cheesy PBS special?) It's called, "don't think of an elephant!" by George Lakoff. It came recommended by a friend, (who has also loaned me an unholy number of books, and I'm getting to them....) after a conversation we had about politics, and how political capital is won through rhetoric and the use of language. I had heard a segment on NPR a few weeks ago about how the right has basically taken over the realm of political discourse. This led to the recommendation of this book. Basically, Lakoff's premise states that Republicans and Conservatives have mastered the art of phrasing their language in terms of a recognizable conceptual framework that registers in listener's brains upon hearing it. (Conservatives in the 50's and 60's created thinktanks, magazine's, and journals to help focus their leaders' minds in this direction. Democrats and liberals haven't done this yet, which is why Republican's are doing so well. (Says the premise of the book.)

Lakoff, in the rest of the book, creates a....handbook of sorts for progressives to be able to better handle this tricky rhetorical situation.

So far, it's been interesting. Lakoff puts his political theories into two categories; that of the "strict father", and the "Nurturant Parent". It's been interesting so far, and I'm very curious to read more about how language works in the political realm.

Anyway, that's all for now.

Thanks for reading!!!

Tommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously, Conservatives MUST be getting elected because they've mastered Rhetoric-those sneaky bastards. It can't be because they have better IDEAS than than the (recently) reactionary-minded liberals

Anonymous said...

Hey Tommy,
Have you read, "Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner? Amy gave it to Gary and neither one of us have read the whole thing, but it's premise is; If morality represents how we would like the world to work, then economics represents how it actually does work. Worth checking out.
Mary