Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Breaking Update....

Just wanted to let everyone know about something.

I just went and picked up a new book. It's called, "The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation". For those of you familiar with Art Spiegleman's "Maus: A Survivor's Tale" will be prepared for this explanation of the events that unfolded that fateful day 5 years ago.

This book, by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon, is basically a new version of the report put out by the independent commision. This is called a "graphic adaptation" because it is NOT a comic book and it is NOT a graphic novel. It is, as the title suggests, an adaptation of the Official Report, so it outlines the events of the day, with all four planes; the findings of the commission, and what I've found most helpful, a brief tutorial on the history of Islamic terrorism under the iron fist of Osama bin Laden.

I'm only a few pages into it, but so far I've found it interesting, and...really, it's an important work. So, I wanted to make more people aware of it. (It came out today.)

Oh, and I'm still reading Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country". I have read "The Lost Continent", I think at your recommendation, Kelli, and to be honest, I found it a bit cynical. It's, of course, very funny....but I think I was in a stage where I found any negative comments about my home--the midwest--harsh and unnecessary. (In other words, I was being a bit of a baby.) However, I really, really want to read more of his stuff now because he's impressed me quite a bit.

Anyway. This post has been brought to you be the letter "R".

Thanks for reading. Oh! Real quick....anyone actually read the "9/11 Report"? And, if so...thoughts?

Tommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy, I'm a damned dirty liberal, I don't read political documents before making my opinion known!! ;)

I have Dr Zoumaras. He's pretty cool... he puts a lot of emphasis on reading actual documents, not just articles about the documents. Lots of work, though, for a 100-level course. Ah well. Nothing I can't handle.

Do you and Bibi have a digital camera? Because I'm expecting pics of your new pup ASAP... and I'm coming over to your house when you get back to town!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I have not read that 9/11 report book you asked about, but I am quite a fan of Mr. Bryson. "In a Sunburned Country" was my first read by him.....and I've been pretty hooked ever since. "The Lost Continent" was not one of my favorites, but you should definitely check out "A Walk in the Woods".....it's great....and very funny. I also just downloaded "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" and listened to it in the car on a recent road trip. He narrates, and gets a little monotone, but was great for a long car trip.....

Happy reading! :)

-beth