Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Treatise on Why The Reader Should Watch the Simpsons

So, I just read the chapter in this book on how the Simpson's has elements of Apocalytic (the literary element) at various points in the series. I have to be honest, I'm just now soaking it in, so this might not be entirely coherent....but, I'm gonna try.

Basically, Apocalyptic deals with connecting the spiritual to the physical....in that our spiritual lives should not be something purely ethereal and focused entirely in the realm of some far off day. Our spiritual lives should be intimately linked to the material and physical world around us. Our spiritual lives should be entirely about the people around us....the other human beings that make up our spiritual realm. (Spirituality means nothing if it's not about the people around us--think, Mother Theresa.)

In the Simpson's, we are given a glimpse of Carnival humor. Carnival humor is about seeing the folly of humanity in humanity...and that includes us. It's not about laughing at someone. It's about laughing WITH someone....everyone around us. And that's another thing...

Think of the great achievements of humanity...the architectual beauties, the monuments to God....often times they are high reaching steeples attempting to bring us closer to heaven, right? And, in the time of these buildings, Gargoyles were found built into these facades. These were frighteningly ugly little people laughing at the failure that we inevitably come to in reaching for these heights. (This does NOT diminish the heights we DO reach...it merely reminds us of the fallibilty of us all....). I don't think of that laughter in malevolent terms...it's a jocular and lighthearted laughter....

The Simpson's shows us all our failings....we see ourselves in the characters....not all of them...but we do see ourselves in some of them....we also see our attitudes reflected in our assumptions about the characters. (Sited in the book, we see Moe, a walking stereotype if ever there was one, in a totally new light when we see that he volunteers at an orphanage weekly.)

I guess the final issue that is discussed in the book that stood out to me was the treatment of Ned Flanders. Ned is seen as the consumate example of a goody two shoes Christian. However, he is never (or VERY rarely) seen in a derisive light.....he is often a satirical (sp?!) character, but not a jerk. He's not perfect, but he is trying. He's a PRACTICING Christian...not a perfect Christian.

Man....I always set out to write deep, enlightening, posts, and I always feel like I fall short. Anyway, you guys should definitely read the book, or at the very least the chapter on the Simpson's....

Yeah.

I once heard someone say that we find prophets (truth tellers) in very strange places. Like, the Simpsons. Where do you all see prophets?

Thanks for reading...

Tommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy -

I concur. Glad to find like-minded individuals willing to facilitate my "vices." Also, can I observe your class Monday morning?? If it's cool, give me a call, 626.7669. Thanks! becker

Anonymous said...

Didja call the place in OK? Didja didja didja??

I'm taking a Children's Lit course this semester and have a LOT of projects to do, so I may be coming to you for advice on what's good and what's not... :)