Sunday, August 20, 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time...of the Year....

Hey ya'll! School starts in two days, and I'm psyched. Good times, will be had by all, I assure you.

Anyway, Kirksville roared to life this morning...it's freshman move-in-day. Woke up at 7, made a pot of coffee, had a couple of friends over, and we all sat outside and watched, listened, and felt the town slowly wake up from it's summer sleep. I don't know if those of you who don't live here anymore remember what it's like....but, well...it's palpable. The town slowly stretches and shakes out the sleepiness, and by tonight the 16-block square around campus will be one mass of party and drunken freshmen. Ah....good times. (c;

Anyway, I finished my book on the language of politics. It was good. It's interesting to have a political debate, to have the other side explained in a clear and logical manner. One of the things I learned, oh, I don't know...back in high school sometime, I think, was that it's important to recognize that intelligent, thoughtful and reasonable people can often times look at a certain issue, all of the facts surrounding that issue, and come away with very different conclusions.

(In response to the comment left by Anonymous: You're right; Conservatives have some excellent ideas, but I think that point that this book was trying to make is that it is easy to persuade people when you have an understanding of the power of language....it's not necessarily deviousness, nor is it necessarily bad....it's a very intelligent, and at least in todays political environment, necessary skill, one that would serve Democrats well to learn.)

I'm now taking a brief hiatus from the political tomes, and I'm reading "Pirates! In Adventures with Scientists" to be followed by "Pirates! In Adventures with Ahab"

Well, I hope you're all enjoying the inevitable end of the summer....God bless, and have a great week.

Oh, and as always...thanks for stopping by.

Tommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should read one of the Pirates! books to your kids this year...Then, and only then, will fun times be had by all...

~matt