Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Home-Town Pride

So, it's interesting to me the fact that people often times have more pride for their home when they don't live there anymore. Most people from Iowa, or Cedar Rapids LOVE Iowa and Cedar Rapids, when they don't spend their every waking moment there. I don't know; I know I'm not breakin' any ground with this observation, but it's just funny to me.

Case in point? As I'm teaching the Revolutionary War, I love talking to my class about Francis Marion, A.K.A. "the Swamp Fox." He was a good country boy farmer who led the Patriots against the British down near New Orleans. Now, this has nothing to do with Cedar Rapids, right? Well, wrong. Marion, the little suburb of CR was named for the Swamp Fox. He's my favorite "character" in the whole deal. I mean, Washington was cool, Marguis de Lafayette was a great leader, and Baron Von Steuben was "peppery" and his men loved him. All of these guys are great; but the man who really stands out to me? Francis Marion. He was just a farmer. Francis Marion was a farmer from South Carolina. Unschooled, unsophisticated, but when the king sent his army to terrorize the colonists, who wanted nothing more glamorous than their birthright, Marion and a hundred other farmers stood up to the British Empire with a bunch of crappy rifles and their farm implements. He's an inspiration.

Anywho...that's all I got. Thanks for reading...

Tommy

No comments: