Thursday, January 26, 2006

Seven Wonders...

So, I started a new book with my class yesterday...it's called the Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs. It's about this kid who wants to go see the 7 wonders of the world, and his dad convinces him to look for the wonders around him. He lives in a small town in Missouri (ahem...) and he doesn't think that it's possible. I decided to scrap my lesson during English, and have my kids come up with their own lists of the Wonders of Kirksville. So, I read through them today...and, man. I was so impressed. Some of the kids talked about the woods behind their houses, where they were able to go and be by themselves and watch the stars. One of the kids said the ditch in front of his house, because he and his brother would build forts there. About half mentioned their parents as a wonder. Man. It was just really special to see.

So, to conclude the project, we're going to make a class presentation of the Seven Wonders of Kirksville, and put up our projects around the school...good times, good times.

Thanks for reading...

Tommy

2 comments:

Jen said...

And she asks, why couldn't you do this LAST year so that I could potentially be listed as a wonder????

Rebecca said...

Ooh ooh ooh ~ one of my FAVORITE songs is "Seven Wonders" by Nickel Creek. Let me know if you want to hear it.

What a great project. I hope you do it again next year(hint hint).

rebecca