Friday, January 20, 2006

Real-Life Simpson's References...

So, I just finished up with my American Revolution Unit with my class. To cap things off, as kind of a fun little summary, we watch an edited-for-television version of the Mel Gibson movie, "The Patriot". Great movie, right? And, thankfully, TBS made most of the really bloody sequences look like mud, and most of the language is cut out. (There are a few damn and hells, but nothing too disconcerting.) Now, I ALWAYS explain that this is a movie about war, that in times of war, adults may--at times--resort to using language inappropriate for school, and that, if someone is getting shot right next to you, it would seem silly if the film had Mel Gibson saying something like, "Golly. That's unfortunate."

So, it's never been a problem. Well, I got a call yesterday that one of my parent's do not want their child to watch the movie. No problem. None at all; of course I"m going to respect their wished, and that's absolutely fine. However, a line from the Simpson's just popped into my head on the way back to my classroom. When Mrs. Krabapple is showing "Fluffy Bunny's Guide to Sex", Ishmael and Shadrach are excused from the room at their parents wishes. Mrs. Krabapple says, "You two may go out into the hall and pray for our souls."

Ok. That was a HUGE setup for VERY little pay off. I'm sorry. That was really funny in my head, and I've seen here...ONLY in my head. (c;

GET CRACKING ON YOUR ASSIGNMENT AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!! (c;

thanks for reading...
Tommy

2 comments:

Stace said...

Your story didn't exactly land but hey The Simpsons rock don't they

Jen said...

I laughed!