Sunday, July 16, 2006

Easy like Sunday Morning....

It's Sunday, almost noon, and I'm sitting in our big comfy chair, sipping coffee (yeah, i know...it's 100 degrees, we don't have A/C, and still he drinks his coffee....) and enjoying the day.

Bibi just left for work, and we have a good morning together. Good conversation/discussion over breakfast, which was nice. It's wonderful being married to someone who challenges you, while still respecting your opinion, you know?

Had dinner and drinks with some friends last night. It was a lot of fun. Their kids were in and out, bobbing through the house and conversation; and a steady flow of unexpected guests made for a surprisingly enjoyable time. (We knew were were going to have a blast, but it's the unexpected that make things even more enjoyable!)

I finished the short story collection yesterday. It was good...very good. I found myself surprised during every short story, which was nice. He's a good author. (Richard Matheson, for those of you who don't want to look down one screen.)

I just started a new one yesterday. It's a book loaned to me by a friend who teaches high school history. It's called "Inside the Vicious Heart", by Robert H. Abzug. It is a collection of memories and first person accounts from Americans as they liberated concentration camps during WWII. The subtitle is, "Americans and the Liberation of Nazi Concentration Camps". No, not a light summer read, but one that I think is really important. I've never even considered what that must have been like....you know? I mean, I've been aware of the concentration camps most of my life, and with that constant knowledge there comes a certain...what's the word..almost numbness to the truth of what occured. But for people all over the world during WWII, it was an unexpressably horrible truth that was revealed by jouralists and GI's returning from Europe.

Anyway, not an easy read, but an important one.

Well, I'll keep you all updated...have a great Sunday, and thanks for reading...

Tommy

No comments: