Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Just another angry little post...

All right, so Bibi and I enjoyed a little Kville culture this evening, and it's been both aggrivating and amusing. First, the aggrivating part. (By the way, this post has brought to my attention my inability to spell the word agg....uh, agriv...um "agrivating.". Argh.

All right, so TSU has created this thing called the JINS course. It stands for Junior InterDiscipliary Studies. It's a course, ideally taken by juniors, that combines different areas of study. Cool. Most of the topics sound awesome. The Rock Generation, a look at rock and roll culture, and the class that this post connects to: The Art and Science of Humor. For the final exam this professor arranged for his students to be able to do one of two things: 1) Write a ten page paper. 2) Perform a 5-10 minute stand-up comedy routine at a local establishment. (Read: Bar.)

Cool! Bibi and I were excited! Our friend was performing in at, at some point, and we were also really excited about seeing other people perform, too.

So, here's my question: Why, in the name of all that is good and holy in this world, do you go to an event, in the UPSTAIRS of a bar, AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL BAR, where there are people who came for the sole purpose of hearing amateur comedy at its finest, and TALK THE WHOLE DAMN TIME?! Ok, I'm counting to ten and breathing.....................................................................
Ok. I'm better. But, seriously...the setup for this particular bar? It's got an upstairs, which is entirely separate from the physical "bar" from which one might procure alchoholic beverages. So, WHY, in the name of Aisha, would you go ALL THE WAY UP STAIRS, away from the beer, to talk during their performances?! I MEAN SERIOUSLY?! AGH!!!! Good grief!

Sorry....I probably should breathe more, eh?

Oh, and the second thing. After the comedy night, we decided to go home. But, on our way out, we ran into some friends and decided to join them, in yet another part of the bar, for karaoke. This is where I saw one of the funniest things I've seen, in a long time. And, yes, this includes the comedy portion of the night. (c;

(Disclaimer: I may, or may not, use vulgarity in this section; I haven't decided yet.)

We're sitting at the table, enjoying some fine off-key singing (I'm really good at off-key singing, so that's how I know that it was "fine off-key" singing), when I glanced behind me. Two guys, two...burley, muscular, country-folk, cowboy-lookin', beer-drinking, chaw chewing guys, were ANGRILY shouting, and violently gesturing at Tim, the man who helps run karaoke. I mean, this was some good ol' fashioned bar brawl precursor that I was witnessing. I started to get a little tense....it was difficult to see this...Tim's a friend of mine, I went to his wedding, for crying out loud...I didn't want to see him get in a fight. These guys were dropping f-bombs (ok, so I decided not to curse) left and right, as well as a plethora of appropriate, and creative, expletives. I was concerned to say the least.

That is, until I realized what they were yelling about.

These two men...these red-neck, hick, hill-billy, walking stereotypes were angry because....

they wanted to sing more.

That's right. They were angry, because they hadn't been able to sing as many songs as they wanted to. Oh...and, the really great part? The song that had sung?

What a Wonderful World.

(c;

Sometimes ya gotta laugh.

Thanks for stopping by...and, ya'll come back now...ya here?

Tommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Wendy closed down early because of them. Apparently Steph went to talk to them, and they made her CRY. And she didn't kick them out, and wouldn't stop giving Wendy shit, and it was really frustrating.
As you can probably guess, Matt offered up the use of his baseball bat ;)
'Twas good to see you!

JNo said...

Ah - - - at least when people ask about 'local color' we know immediately to respond RED (as in neck). I guess since TSU is a dry campus, their project had to be dry as well?? Class sounds interesting though - even with the rude buttheads.