Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Hallelujah...

I'm sitting here thinking about the lyrics to the song Hallelujah, performed by many, but most recently by Rufus Wainwright. "Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and it's a broken, 'Hallelujah".

The thing that I'm learning is that love is not about being right. When Bibi and I argue, I'm constantly having to remind myself that the point of our being together is not to exalt myself, it's not to prove how smart I am, or how right I am. She already knows that, she has spent time with me. She KNOWS me. The point SHOULD be to understand her point, not to slam my point in her face.

It's disGUSTing how earnestly I will argue, completely ignoring her needs in order to come out on top.

It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL the change that I see in myself, though. As we grow together, more and more in our discussions I find myself wanting to push aside the meaningless and hollow desire to be "right" and seeking a common understanding between us....it's not about a victory march of my "self"....love is about breaking that tie to "me" and forging the bond between the two of us.

I just wish I would learn faster, you know?

Thanks for reading...
Tommy

1 comment:

JNo said...

Life-long lesson my man - I'm 11 years into it!